Register Now: Street Chalk Painting Workshop
Last May, The Del Ray Montessori School hosted La Bella Strada, an Italian street art festival, where professional and amateur artists from around the area created chalk masterpieces up and down Mt. Vernon Ave. The event is a fundraiser for the school. This year, La Bella Strada will take place on May 13 and all are welcome to participate.
For anyone unfamiliar with chalk as an art medium, La Bella Strada organizers have arranged a chalk art workshop on April 29 led by local artist Patrick Kirwin.
You’ve probably seen artist Patrick’s work all over Del Ray. He painted the outdoor market scene on the side of VéloCity bicycle co-op, along with children from the Community Kids Club, a group of nine 4th and 5th graders from Mount Vernon Community School. And during the winter he painted several of the winter wonderland window scenes in shops along the Avenue.
Last year, Patrick was also a featured artist at La Bella Strada, creating a magnificent hippo and a crocodile and octopus chalk design with fellow artist Jack Labadie.
In this 1.5-hour hands-on workshop, you will learn techniques of street chalk drawing:
- How to sketch out your design on the sidewalk and enlarge and image with a grid.
- Drawing techniques and color theory.
- How to spread out colors with water for backgrounds and large areas and how to blend colors.
- Various tools for manipulating the chalk to result in different outcomes.
- How to do simple 3-D anamorphic illusions. For examples of very complex illusions by street artists, see http://www.boredpanda.com/5-most-talented-3d-sidewalk-chalk-artists/
Patrick Kirwin currently teaches at the Alexandria Art League and has taught at The Corcoran College and the Smithsonian Institution. Specializing in Trompe L’oeil, he has completed large commercial projects, as well as the interiors of many small shops, private wine cellars, and residential murals.
Space is limited to 10 students. The 1.5-hour workshop costs $20.