A May Garden Party for a Great Cause
Last fall, we wrote about the exciting plans underway for improving a popular school and community playground in Del Ray — the Mount Vernon Community School on the corner of Uhler and Mt. Vernon Ave. A lot has happened behind the scenes since then and to move into the next phase, the planning team is coordinating a special garden party event in May.
Come to Mount Vernon Community School (MVCS) on Saturday, May 16 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. to see the plans up close for the playground renovation. There will also be live music, a raffle, and a plant and bake sale.
MVCS parent Sue Henry has been growing more than 200 seed starts in her home for the sale – flowers, tomatoes, vegetables like kale and broccoli, and herbs like cilantro, dill, and parsley.
Another group of children are growing sunflower starts for sale and others are making seed balls — all to benefit the playground project. A group of expert gardeners, Straw Hat Gardeners, will also be on hand to answer questions about gardening in your home.
The perfect accompaniment to baked goods from the party’s bake sale, MVCS parent/teacher Justine Hudec is setting up her pour-over coffee bar, Caffeine.
Many parents, with their kids, are participating in work sessions to get the current gardens at the school ready for spring planting. They can’t wait to show off the senses, vegetable, and native gardens, some of the best features today of the playground that only promises to get better and better.
Ways to Support the MVCS Playground Project
If you want to participate in the playground renovation in other ways, here’s how you can get involved:
- Like and follow Revitalize Mount Vernon Community School Playground Facebook page and Twitter accounts.
- Keep up to date about the playground project.
- Donate to the PTA during Spring2ACTion on April 22.
- Help out on a parent project, such as building a small storage shed or garden spruce-up. To volunteer, send an email to the MVCS PTA President and mention your interest.
- Watch this video about the project and spread to word to your neighbors.
- Come to the garden party on May 16!