Making Bedazzling 3-D Felt Birds
I made a few of these 3-D felt birds as holiday gifts and kept a couple for myself. They did not get packed away with the Christmas ornaments, but hang in our kitchen adding color and whimsy.
You can make these birds with the following supplies:
- Felt of any color
- Embroidery thread of any color and needle
- Hot glue gun
- String for hanging
I did most of the sewing work on the birds, but my 10-year-old was perfectly able to do this craft. The 5-year-old didn’t quite have the patience or manual dexterity, but she enjoyed suggesting the embellishments.
1. Create a template on cardboard. You need to make a template for the bird’s body and also for the wings. Trace the template on felt and cut out the bird and wing shapes. As you can see, you make one long wing because later you’ll slide the wing through the main body. You need two body shapes and two wing shapes for each bird.
2. Use a blanket stitch to sew the body and wings together. The blanket stitch is easy to learn from various tutorials online.
3. Add stitching on the bird’s body as you like. Of course, you don’t have to, but I enjoyed making some stripes and other patterns, as well as rudimentary eyes.
4. When you’re done with the stitching, pinch the top of the bird and with the scissors cut a hole about 1 inch long along the upper part of the body. Then, slip the wing through. The hole should be shorter than the width of the wing so it stays firmly in place.
5. With the glue gun, add sequins and feathers wherever you like. This is when your bird comes to life.
6. Press a hole above the wing with the sewing needle and slip string through to use as a hanger.
Hang and enjoy the gentle flutter and cheerful swaying of your fancy birds!